Monday, August 21, 2017

Wire Wrapping a Dragon Eye

Wire Wrapping a Dragon Eye Pedent
         On the path to better improve my skills and learn from those who skills blow my current set out of the water, I took a wire wrapping class at Lillstreet Art Center with Cassie Chamness. Cassie is a talented wire wrapping and weaving artist and cabochon connoisseur. She took the time to explain the basics to myself and the two other students in the class as well as some more advanced techniques. We learned how important it is to straighten the wires first (this is a pain in the butt by the way). We learned that securing the wires in 2 places is a must. And we learned that you don’t have to go in with a plan (which is AMAZING!!!). We learned how to use larger wires to go around the main stone and hold it in place with strategically placed bends and twists as well as how to use thinner wires to weave in and around the larger ones to make the bail and add an artistic flair. She also showed us how to coil wire and how we could incorporate it. Throughout the class, Cassie regaled us with tales of her stone hunting and pendant creating.

         Prior to this class, I had attempted to wire wrap stones in settings similar to the ones Cassie taught us. I bought the tape, I measured the right amount, I bent it at the allocated amount, I followed the written directions, but it did not work. But I learn best from a live person, and if a person is not available, then from a video, but I last tried to learn this skill from a book, and it did not work. I have wire wrapped pieces, but they have been more net wrapping and not setting, symmetrical, twisting wrapping. But with this class, I can now combine all of these wire wrapping skills I have and create some amazing pieces. Some examples of these can be seen in my store. Please come check them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment