Friday, August 4, 2017

My Dragon Fly

As a graduation present to myself I signed up for an Intro to Bezel and Pendent making class at Tytin Jewelry. I had already taken a ring making class there and practiced some on my own as well as made a few metal pieces, so was not a complete novice, but it was still nerve wracking. I wanted something that represented a new beginning, that represented the various aspects of me, that looked cool, that I could “fly with.”

And so the sketching began.

I first wanted a dragon, but the thought of having to cut out with a saw a design that intricate was too intimidating, so that was scrapped. Then just a dragon’s wing…but I couldn’t figure out how to get it to look like an actual wing and not a weird shape. So after much thinking I landed on a dragon fly, as it is still a dragon … and it can fly. Get it? *grinning* I also like the colors of dragon flies in real life so even if I couldn’t get the colors on the pendent it still referenced it. And the bezel could be the face.

The cut out aspect was easy. One side of wings would have the Shin, the first letter in Hebrew of my name. and the other side would have an upside down stylized “K” to represent the kids I watch and the silly nature I have as an early childhood teacher. And this is the result. Not too bad if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment